Monday, June 20, 2011

Things That Made My Mouth Happy

With my CSA harvest from Saturday, I was able to whip this tasty little treat up for lunch today:


I had to use it or risk losing some of it - the greens didn't have a long shelf life. Must be the lack of preservatives as it's from my organic farmer, Chuck.

This tasty pan of stir-fry consisted of the following from the CSA:
  • Swiss Chard (I think, all those big leafy greens kind of looked alike, it could be Spinach) - torn
  • Bok Choy, chopped in large pieces
  • White Onion, chopped in bigger pieces
  • Green Onion, chopped
  • Garlic Scape, chopped - could be my new food friend
  • Snow Pea Pods
  • Orange Pepper, from Sam's Club, added for color and to avoid losing it to old age

Man alive, was it tasty! I sauteed the onions, garlic, pepper in a tich of olive oil, and then threw in the leaves to wilt them. I then got a little nervous that it was going to be tasteless, so I threw in a dap (just a teeny tich) of bacon grease, learned from my grandmother. Bacon grease makes everything tasty, although a little less healthy.

Then, to make it even more unhealthy, I sliced up some leftover chicken chunks that I had from a Chinese food dish on Friday. I guess that doesn't exactly ruin it, it just turned it from meatless into meat. But my grandmother would have been proud of the re-purposing of the chicken.

It turned out pretty amazing.

I'm going to make Garlic Scape Pesto later on.

The other thing that made my mouth happy, that didn't involve smooching Twinkle Toes on the nose?

This salsa:

As you can see, it's G.O.N.E. Gone. Goes in sweet, leaves ya hot. Wow. We picked this up while at the Farmer's Market getting my CSA stuff.

It's from Blaze Gourmet. I cannot stress to you enough how this jar of salsa was worth the $6.99 price tag. It is so. Good. Treat yourself. Just have something handy to drink when you're done, because the heat does not play.



No comments: