Friday, December 26, 2008

Buttoned Up

We just got back from seeing The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Now, I'm not sure what I expected, I had considered not even seeing it on sheer principle as I have an unfavorable opinion about that cheater Brad Pitt. But my curiosity got the best of me since Kenny had seen twenty minutes of it and reported back that it looked good.

You can read all sorts of reviews about it, from the good to the Gump-like comparisons bad, but I put it in my Top 5 list. I cried throughout the whole movie, it was so emotionally charged. I'm not normally a "crier," but I have been known to well-up a time or two at the movies. This was out-of-control crying. I was a hotmess of messy mascara. I had to fumble in my purse for a cough drop just to give myself something else to focus on at some spots. I think it resonates more with those who have lived long enough to have experienced loss. I particularly love time movies, that reflect back on a life lived and this was a different than any other that I've seen.
I still need more time to digest it all and make my peace with it. If you can appreciate a movie for what it is - a vessel to entertain and suspend reality - I can't see how you could not appreciate this tale of love. I'm going to have to see it again, once I feel more composed about it.
On another movie note, we saw Slumdog Millionaire a few nights ago and up until I saw Button, it was my Top Pick of the Year. A more "flawless" presentation than Button, but I would still have to give my top pick to Benjamin Button. I'm drained from crying it out. I'm taking an Advil PM and starting anew tomorrow. Life isn't measured in minutes, but in moments.

No comments: