Sunday, November 23, 2008

Suck This

Maybe Fsteve was right. Perhaps adolescent-level reading IS my level. While it certainly wasn't dense, thought-provoking writing, I thoroughly enjoyed Twilight, and now have an unhealthy obsession with vampires. I just asked Kenny if we'd be visiting Denali while we're on our Alaska Adventure next year, as there is purportedly a coven of Vamps up there.
That writer was pretty clever. She ends the book with the beginning of the next book as a teaser. I could not get to sleep last night, replaying the cliffhanger scene in my mind, and anxious as to how they're going to get out of that mess. I have the next book at work, resting comfortably on a shelf, when it should be HERE, NOW so that I could be finding out just exactly how Edward saves Bella this time. I thought about going to work and getting it, but rationally reminded myself that I've got too many things to do today to get absorbed in that love story right now. But I did have to take some nighttime cold medicine in order to get to sleep last night, I was that charged up at 1 a.m.
I have had more get-up-and-go this weekend than I've had in a very long time. I don't know if I am correctly attributing it to these new vitamins I purchased Friday night at Wal*Mart, or if it's just that my hormones are on an even keel, or if perhaps I'm really Manic-Depressive like my sister, Britney Spears, and I'm on a "high." Whatever, I've been a whirling dervish around the house since I took that chromium Friday night with dinner. It's claim is to even out the blood sugars, giving more energy and a host of other promises. All I know for sure is that I busted my ass around the house Friday night, not heading to bed until 3:15 a.m. (granted, I had the book to keep me interested that late at night), and then Saturday Kenny and I embarked on another quest of Basement Cleaning. Jeezus Christ, we worked for five solid hours down there - and it's still a hotmess. I really need Neecy from Clean House to show up.
Anyway, back to the basement. Kenny and his business partner haven't been able to lock down a new office space so back home all his shit is coming. The people who owned the building sold it, and the guys have til December 1st to get their shit out. Well, they were told they could have part of the warehouse space until January 1st, but I advised Kenny to rethink leaving any of his stuff there on a promise. What if they just locked 'em out and took all their stuff? It's his livelihood, not a hobby, and he would be so fucked right in the ass if that happened. So yesterday he started hauling shit home, and the Basement Cleaning Project began in earnest.

The problem with the basement is this: We have so much stuff between the two of us, and a lot of it is a/ either too expensive to just toss out, even if we're not currently using it or b/ something we may want to use one day. So we've got an Ebay pile compiled, and will try to sell some of the stuff, and the other stuff we're trying to reorganize in an out-of-the-way place. And then the remainder is going on the trash pile. Fsteve, if you have any interest in some of your shit you may want to do a drive-by on Tuesday night. I mean, we have got DVD players, computers, scanners, printers, TVs (which won't work after February without the special converter box), clothing, tables, lamps, misc. kitchen gadgets, speakers - all sorts of stuff that we just have to make the decision to part with. I know we could donate it, but we need to get the space cleared this week. We're taking an afternoon break to blog and watch football, and will be heading back down for Round 2 later today.
The upside of spending so many hours in the basement was that I managed to get every stitch of laundry washed and folded. Towels, bedding, all sorts of piles of stuff that had just been sitting there, getting pushed aside in favor of clean undies and such. Another project, putting away all the cleaned laundry. I need a maid.
After all that cleaning, we showered and went out for some Mexican food and a margarita. The perfect end to a hard day's work.

It's been a busy Sunday morning (well, afternoon, but it's morning in my world), I've got a rigatoni/pepperoni casserole baking in the oven and I created a new dessert. It's a variation of tiramisu, but as I don't have marscapone cheese on hand, I used a pumpkin pudding mix instead. Mixed that with some cream cheese, added a little espresso and rum, soaked the lady fingers in a concoction of coffee and brandy, layered it all and topped it with cool whip. It's going to be a tastebud extravaganza this evening. Or it will all go in the trash.

We're heading into Thanksgiving Weekend, excited about that. Not sure what our plans are yet, we may be dining out somewhere. That's fine with me, it will be different, but could be nice with no mess to deal with. Kenny's working on Thanksgiving Day. I'm sure we'll see a movie that night, it's tradition. Last year I believe I saw Sweeney Todd. We head to Atlantic City Friday morning, a quick overnight junket. Always something fun to look forward to. Good thing, after this weekend of cleaning, clearing, hauling and packing.

No comments: