Sunday, July 1, 2007

Sum-Sum-Summertime!

Summer card night was kicked off on Jill's deck Friday night. It was a full-crowd with Anastasia (and her baby and her giant "twins" in tow), Meggan, Sally, Fran and Jill. Meggan brought some fabulous steaks that Len cooked on the grill for us, while I brought a rice dish that was some type of fancy Tuscany-inspired rice-a-roni that wasn't nearly as good as the original San Francisco treat. Jill's mom stayed and joined us for dinner while she awaited the arrival of Jill's sister's flight from Texas. Due to the heavy rains in Texas, the flight was delayed until well after midnight, so Jill's mom went home before the card game began.




It was a very fun celebration of Anastasia's June birthday and Geri's upcoming July 5th birthday. Geri received a special present, the Blue Bedazzler found it's way around her neck again!

The necklace must have had special magical lucky powers because Geri ended up taking home the jackpot at the end of the evening - a first for her!! She has vowed to take the necklace to Vegas with her this week - I may have to wrestle it away from her, although it has brought me no luck in the past few months that I've had it.

Anastasia Diamond-Ortiz was looking very pregnant, and very happy about it, too! She's due in September and she and the baby enjoyed another piece of Becker's Cake, which has become a card-night staple.


I was mesmerized by her very large...um....smile.




It was a very busy week overall. Tuesday night was a Toastmasters picnic in the Metroparks. It was surprisingly fun, and not nearly as lame as I had anticipated. I still haven't given my Icebreaker speech, and no one believed my reasoning that "I'm shy." I'm slated to give it in July. I really just have nothing interesting to say about myself....well, nothing that can be shared with that group, anyway!


Wednesday night Fran, Jill, Geri and I had a Mexican Fiesta at El Rodeo to celebrate Chris Vargo's unbirthday. Words can't express the excitement Chris felt when they placed the Urban Sombrero atop her head.


Of course, we celebrated with more Becker's cake! We are definately Becker's most steady customers.
Speaking of cake, Jill and I are in the process of trying to sign up for cake decorating lessons at Pat Catan's on Berea Road. The plan was in place, but then foiled at the last minute on Friday as they emailed us with a date/time change. It was originally scheduled for Wednesday's at 6:00 p.m., which would have been very convenient. Now they've moved it to Saturday's at 10:00. I can't be someplace by 10:00 a.m. on a weekend! I didn't even go to my chiropractor on the weekends, and I was motivated by pain. I like frosting, but I'm not sure it's enough to motivate me out of bed on a Saturday morning. One, yes. Not four in a row. Know your limits, plan within them. Jill's going to call and see if they'll make other arrangements, so we'll see what she gets worked out with them. We could still be cake-decorating maniacs.
Sally has managed to lose 65 lbs. over the course of the past year or so. She's looking much healthier and happier and is quite proud of herself, as she should be. We need to take some pictures when she gets some form-fitting clothes - right now she's still a little baggy in the britches to showcase her hard work.

Thursday night was golf, and I've finally found my swing. I'm not setting the course on fire, but I was able to have some decent shots and was reminded why I like to play. My partner Ryan and I are in 1st place - which is just plain crazy talk, but sure does make it more fun! I'm sure our handicaps will catch up with us at some point, but right now we have a nice lead.


Saturday was my nephew Justin's graduation party. Kenny took out the Karaoke system and we set that up to entertain the masses. The kids were all skitish about it, and I finally took over and sang. Then I had one of Justin's little girlfriends do a duet of Goodbye, Earl with me she was hooked. A Karaoke Junkie has been born. We showed Erica how to run the system while we ran to a retirement party for our friend Dan. We partied with Dan, then ran back out to LaGrange to dismantle the system, pack it up and head for home. Erica and the gang were still singing when we returned at 11:00 p.m. We did 3 more songs together before Kenny unplugged us. It was a long day of travel, he had heard enough bad singing and just wanted to go home. Frankly, I don't know how he could be tired of hearing Save a horse, ride a Cowboy or Copacabana, but he was.


Kenny's radio show had it's big debut tonight on WHK 1420. I think it went over pretty well! I sat in the studio and listened and I'm not quite sure how I kept my lips closed for an entire hour, but I did it. I've been busy creating a My Space page for them, it's still a work in progress, but it'll get there. They had some callers, so someone was out there listening. Who knows, maybe it will catch on like wildfire.



Today I'm having my pre-vacation anxiety that I always get before I leave town. I think about the millions of details that need to be accomplished before I go - laundry, general tiding up, buying cat necessities, etc. It's a lot and it piles up quickly when you're not home to take care of any of it, as I haven't been this past week. I'm trying not to get too worked up about it, but it's not doing much good. I've resorted to drinking a LaBatt Blue Light to take the edge off. Course, I could be having Tim's night; Tina marched in and told him she's not going because ... well, who really knows why. Same melodramatic stunt she always pulls. Glad it's not my problem! I have enough to worry about with the laundry and cat litter - now those are real pre-vacation issues!


Instead of doing anything productive around the house, Kenny and I went and saw Diehard today. What a great movie! We got in for free since his friend Chris is now working there, which made the movie even better :) Really fun to watch, a somewhat sensible storyline and of course Bruce Willis in all his bald-headed splendor. What's not to love! Yippie-Ki-Yay.




I've somehow developed seasonal allergies, much to my dismay. I used to hate it when my fatass ex FuckSteve was snotty and sniffling, and now here I am - snotty and sniffling, with a mild addiction to nose spray. Chris Rock once said, "Be careful of the thing you hate the most, because one day it will end up in your family." I don't think he was talking about allergies, but in my case this certainly applies - I have very little sympathy for allergy-sufferers, and now I'm afflicted.



So far, we have been thrilled with our new coffeemaker! It makes a very tasty cuppa joe, and that thermal pot keeps it hot literally all day long.



I'm still tired from the past week and am calling this a blog. It's a bit lacking, but I'm just out of interesting words. I'm down to writing about my latest pooping incident, and frankly I don't think we need two weeks in a row about that. I can hear the sighs of relief :)



Peace, and the next time we chat I hope I'm posting about my very large Las Vegas winnings!

No comments: